Tuesday, January 14, 2003

How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I found these links to Historical Nuclear Weapons Test Films a while ago, but for some reason lost track and forgot about them. From the Nevada Site Office of the U.S. Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration, they also have some other video clips that I will soon take a look at. Finding the site again reminds me of both Dr. Strangelove and the serious novel and film that tackles the same issues, Failsafe by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler.



Sidenote:

It also seems to me that our current administration is using antiquated cold war strategies to combat terrorism. Once we had to build more weapons to make sure that we were superior. Now we have the most weapons, so all we have left to do is take away weapons from other people. Mind you, I'm not troubled with the idea of removing weapons from the hands of any person, except that we are holding on to our own. I guess it's implied that eventually, once we've taken everyone else's weapons the world will be safe (safe from us?), there will be no need for weapons, but I have trouble envisioning a U.S. that will want to give up such total control. We've truly taken a lesson from Rome, divide and conquer. I just hope we don't all die of lead poisoning. Ah ha! Perhaps this explains our government's somewhat irrational abolitionist and mechanistic drug laws. Further evidence that suggests we will repeat the mistakes of Rome (we've made enough already). Then again I guess some would argue that some of the success attributed to the Romans were actually failures.

No comments: