[edit A], my academic advisor and math prof., suggested today that I work on a project with [edit B] one of my other math profs. I'm kind of excited about it. If it works out it should be cool. We just learned about permutation groups in my modern algebra (Gallian, Joseph A. Contemporary Abstract Algebra) class and [edit B] is working on a program that works with converting the format of a rectangluar matrix to fit on one line. This can be done two different ways: say for a 3x4, you can either have 3 sections of 4 or 4 sections of 3 one following another all on the same line. As it turns out changing one format to another and/or back again is simply a permutation.
Since [edit B] is more of a Calc/DE/computer Science guy (from what I've gathered), he has been inquiring about abstract permutations. [edit A] suggested that he work with me and make it a project. This is great. First, I already have to do a project for modern algebra and this will be a great means to that end. Second, it's just cool to work on a project with a prof rather than working on a project with a student to turn into a prof. Granted, I still have to turn in the project to a prof, but it's still cool.
I could probably go on, but I must head of to my Differential Equations class with [edit B] soon.