Saturday, August 13, 2005

Do I(or do you) have a bizarre sleep disorder?

Vic claims that I yell or at least moan loudly in my sleep sometimes. This is not too much of a surprise to me, since I have been accused of and caught in the act of sleepwalking and possibly even sleep eating though at a young age. She sometimes talks in her sleep, but she'll wake if you talk to her. I generally don't wake. In any event, it sometimes is a little unnerving how deeply I can sleep and the realism of some of the dreams that I manage to remember. Maybe I'm living a double life in my sleep, a life which must be kept secret as a psychic defense mechanism. Maybe this is the dream. Anyway, these two articles did not put my mind at ease about the situation at all. It looks like I'm faced the possibility of either Parkinson's or an anticonvulsant if these sleep parasomnias continue or get worse.Research Focuses on Bizarre Sleep Disorders
Nocturnal seizures. Instead of shaking, foaming at mouth, and turning blue, nocturnal seizures are marked by screaming, shouting, and pedaling leg movements. Nocturnal seizures can also mimic sleepwalking, says Clete Kushida, MD, PhD, director of the Stanford Center for Human Sleep Research. Treatment with anticonvulsant medication is usually effective, he says.

Sleep-related groaning. "It's very loud groaning, and people come to us who whose groaning has been present lifelong but they are changing living situations where it is all of a sudden it's apparent and that will be bothersome," Mahowald says.

Parasomnias Often Under-Recognized, Misunderstood
Mahowald says that sleepwalking and night terrors result from an abnormal and abrupt arousal out of a deep stage of sleep known as slow wave sleep. The normal transition from deep sleep to a lighter sleep stage having been bypassed, "the brain is not fully conscious; it's almost as if it's half awake and half asleep," he says. "You can perform a complex behavior such as driving a car, but you're not aware enough to know what you are doing."

No comments: