Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I don't believe in Typhoons.

So I guess we were both wrong. I still think that the distinction between a Typhoon and a Hurricane is trivial and not worth keeping track of that detail. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, but somehow ends up on the moon, it's still a duck. I'll encourage a distinction after I've found definitions that highlight the thermodynamic difference between a Hurricane and a Typhoon.
Hurricane / Typhoon:
A tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind (using the U.S. 1-minute average) is 64 kt (74 mph or 119 km/hr) or more. The term hurricane is used for Northern Hemisphere tropical cyclones east of the International Dateline to the Greenwich Meridian. The term typhoon is used for Pacific tropical cyclones north of the Equator west of the International Dateline.

Tropical cyclone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[ , , , ]

No comments: